How to get to Funderland at the RDS
From City Centre
Outside Trinity College, take Nassau Street (N11) for about 150 metres then turn right following the signposts for the R118. Follow the R118 (also known as Mount Street which becomes Merrion Road) for approximately 2km. The RDS Main Complex will be situated on the right hand side. The Ice Rink is located at Ring 4 and is accessed through the Merrion Road entrance of the RDS.
To go to Funderland continue along the Merrion Road and turn right into Simmonscourt Road. Funderland is situated on the left hand side after the two office buildings.
The RDS is serviced by bus routes number 4, 7 and 45, which stop outside the Main Entrance to the RDS on the Merrion Road at bus stop number 417. Bus routes Number 4 and 7 stop outside Clayton Hotel (located beside Funderland). These bus services can be availed of on Nassau Street outside Trinity College.
By Local Train
Dublin DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transport) service also operates from the City Centre to Ballsbridge. Travel southbound to Lansdowne or Sandymount stations.
Travel time: 45 minutes
Distance: 16 kilometres
• Leave the Airport and follow the Way Out signs until you reach a signaled roundabout.
• At the roundabout take the 2nd exit signposted Dublin to join Motorway M1 Airport Interchange.
• Junction3 (M50): follow signpost towards City Centre
• End of the Motorway, follow the N1
• At the junction with Griffith Avenue turn left at traffic lights R102 signposted Malahide, Howth.
• Junction with R107, at the traffic lights turn right R107
• At the T Junction turn right R105
• At traffic lights turn left R131 signposted Dublin Port, Dun Laoghaire
• At the junction with Alfie Byrne Road go through the traffic lights
• At the junction for Dublin Port turn right at the traffic lights
• Passing The O2 (J79) at the roundabout follow the signposts for Dun Laoghaire Via Toll Bridge and proceed across the River Liffey
• Go through the East Link Toll Bridge (car €1.70)
• Junction 80 (Dublin Outer Orbital Route)
• At the roundabout take the third exit signposted N11, N81 Irishtown (Junction 81)
• Turn right then and turn immediately left at the traffic signals into Londonbridge Road R111 (Signposted N11, N81) Junction 51 (R815) at traffic signals turn left R815, signposted Ballsbridge.
• Proceed through the next traffic lights and the RDS is situated on your right.
Taxis are available at the Taxi rank outside Arrivals. Expect to pay between €30 and €40.
From Dublin Port (City Centre)
Dublin Port is on the north of the city approximately ten minutes drive from the RDS.
• Follow the signs for the Port exit, all routes along Tolka Quay Road
• Junction with R131
• Turn left at the traffic signals, taking R131 signposted City Centre
• At the roundabout follow the sign posts to Dun Laoghaire via Toll Bridge and cross the River Liffey (East Link Toll Bridge - car charge €1.70)
• Take Junction 80 (Dublin Outer Orbital Route)
• At the roundabout take the 3rd exit signposted N11, N81
• Take Irishtown (Junction 81)
• Turn right then, at the traffic lights turn left into Londonbridge Road R111 signposted N11, N81
• Take Junction 51 (R815)
• At the traffic lights turn left onto R815 signposted Ballsbridge
• Proceed through the next traffic lights, the RDS Main Complex is situated on your right which is where the Ice Rink is located
• For Funderland continue along the Merrion Road and turn right onto Simmonscourt Road. Funderland is situated on the left hand side after the two office buildings.
From Dun Laoghaire Port (South Co. Dublin)
Dun Laoghaire Port, south of the city, is twenty minutes drive from the RDS.
• Follow the signs for the Port exit
• From the exit follow the signs Belfast and North (N1), Galway and West (M4), Cork and South (N7), Wexford and South East (N7)
• Junction with N31 (edge of Dun Laoghaire)
• At the traffic lights turn right onto N31 signposted all routes
• In 0.9 miles, at traffic lights turn right
• At the traffic lights continue through Junction with R118
• At traffic signals follow R118
• At the next traffic lights follow the signpost to the City Centre, the RDS Main Complex is situated on the left hand side which is where the Ice Rink is located
• To Funderland continue along the Merrion Road and turn right into Simmonscourt Road. Funderland is situated on the left hand side after the two office buildings.
The number 7 bus has bus stops at Simmonscourt Road to access Funderland. The number 7 bus continues into the City Centre.
By Local Train
Dublin’s DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transport) service also operates from Dun Laoghaire. Times can be accessed at www.dart.ie
From Train stations
From Main Train Lines
There are two main train stations in Dublin: Connolly & Heuston.
You can connect to the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) directly from Connolly station to Ballsbridge (Sandymount DART Station).
You can connect to the Luas directly at Heuston station and transfer to the DART at Connolly station to Ballsbridge (Sandymount DART Station).
From Local Train Lines
Located in close proximity to the RDS is the DART line. The closest DART station to the RDS is Sandymount.
Directions on foot from the Sandymount Dart Station:
• Follow the Exit signs and turn right onto Sandymount Avenue
• Continue until you reach the traffic lights (Clayton Hotel and the Four Seasons Hotel will be directly in front of you)
• For the Funderland continue straight ahead from the traffic lights at the crossroads, passing Clayton Hotel on your left: Entrance to Funderland is on the left hand side after the office buildings.The Ice Rink is accessed from the Merrion Road directly behind the Intercontinental Hotel.